gdcbanner
Govt. Dental College, Thiruvananthapuram

In an attempt to provide avenues for formal dental education, dental colleges were started at the four state capitals of southern states of India. The Government Dental College (GDC), Trivandrum was established in the year 1959. The college is affiliated to the University of Kerala.
The Government Dental College, was first started as a dental wing of the Medical College Hospital., Trivandrum.  Dr. M. Thangavelu, Principal of the Medical College, laid the foundation stone for this great institution. Dr. A. M. Clement, Dental surgeon in the Medical College was appointed as the first Director for the Dental College. Dr. A.R Menon was the Minister for Health during that period of time. The present building of the Dental College was commissioned in the year 1962.
In the same year the BDS degree was recognized by the Dental Council of India. Nearly 1500 students have graduated from this institution so far. Initially 20 students were admitted yearly which has now been increased to 40. Dental Hygienist Course and Dental Mechanic Certificate courses were started in 1962 and 1964 respectively. Postgraduate courses were started in 1966.
The college has eight full fledged departments, each of which offer postgraduate courses. Independent status for this institution was sanctioned by the Government in the year 1996. The Dental College was made the centre for M.Ortho RCS Ed. and M.O.S RCS Ed. examination as well as Dip NB examination in the year 2000. A scholarship was instituted for research among the under graduate students during the period 2000-2001. The College provides all kinds of specialty dental care and acts as a reference center for the Government and private dental care centers in Kerala. This institution, with its long traditions and unblemished record of patient care, marches on to its next milestone, the Golden Jubilee Year, which falls on 2009.

Additional information